Dilled Tofu Wrap
When Morgan told me she was going to make a salmon wrap for lunch during one of our Whole Foods trips, I have to admit I was slightly jealous. She trotted off to the fish counter and I suddenly found myself craving cream cheese, dill and capers. As a pescetarian years ago I would quite often enjoy lox and cream cheese with all the fixins’, which ended up being my inspiration for this wrap.
I didn’t attempt to Veganize salmon or the fish flavor/consistency (this time), although that is on my list of things to try. I used tofu in place of salmon and marinated the heck out of it to get the lemony, dilly flavor I remember from many past salmon dishes. The red onion, cucumber and lettuce are the typical toppings for a pimped out lox & cream cheese sandwich (try adding tomato too!). Capers are always tricky because they are small, round and tend to roll off of a sandwich. I decided to combine the capers into my Vegan cream cheese so I could get the salty caper goodness without the mess. This wrap sure did satisfy my craving and even my husband (who doesn’t exactly like capers and is iffy about tofu) ate half of my wrap.
1 Container Extra Firm Tofu
1 Whole Wheat Tortilla
Red Onion, thinly sliced
Cucumber, thinly sliced
Spring Mix or other lettuce
Fresh Dill, chopped
- Press tofu to remove excess liquid and cut into 8 pieces. Place into a flat dish or Tupperware container for marinating.
- Wisk together Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, dill and garlic.
- Pour marinade over tofu slices and ensure tofu is completely covered. I suggest refrigerating over night at a minimum.
Cream Cheese Prep:
- Bring cream cheese to room temperature.
- Combine chopped capers into cream cheese with a spoon.
- Remove tofu from refrigerator and allow oil to come back to room temperature.
- Heat grill pan on high. Place tofu slices on pan and cook approximately 5 minutes each side, or until slightly browned.
- Allow tofu to cool and drain on paper towels for 5-10 minutes.
- Spread Caper Berry Cream Cheese on tortilla (use as little or as much as you’d like).
- Assemble starting with tofu slices, followed by cucumber, red onion and lettuce.