For our friends Thanksgiving celebration, as well as Christmas Eve with my family, I provided most (if not all) of the Vegan food. One item in particular was very popular with even the meat eaters; it was my Vegan Wellington. This is a great winter recipe being warm, flavorful and filling. I served this as the Vegan main course along with other sides, however it even works as an all-in-one meal.
I found a great looking Mushroom Wellington recipe on The Vegan Version blog and decided to make a few adjustments to Lee’s version in order to make it my own. I started out with phyllo dough and filled it with Tofurky slices, sauteed mushrooms and kale and sliced potatoes. This is all wrapped up, baked and topped with a mushroom gravy, courtesy of Whole Foods.
For Christmas Eve my husband had the idea to swap out the sliced and roasted potatoes with some creamy vegan mashed potatoes. This was a very nice spin on this dish, however I need to figure out how to keep the potatoes from oozing out the side of the phyllo.
6 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
1 package Tofurky Hickory Smoked Deli Slices
1 russet potato, sliced thin
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 bunch kale, torn into bite sized pieces
16 ounces mixed mushrooms, chopped
2 Tablespoons thyme
salt & pepper
4 Tablespoons melted Vegan butter
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prep a jelly roll pan with a thin layer of olive oil and set aside.
- Toss sliced potatoes with olive oil, salt & pepper. Lay on a cookie sheet and roast Potatoes for 15-20 minutes until soft.
- In a large skillet warm 1-2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil. Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they release their juices. Add Kale and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, add thyme and Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Gently place 1 sheet of phyllo dough on a working surface such as a large cutting board and brush it with some melted butter. Layer on another sheet of phyllo dough and brush with more melted butter. Layer on a third and final sheet of phyllo dough and brush with melted butter.
- Using half of the potatoes layer slices in the middle of the dough leaving about a 2 inch border. Layer half of the Tofurky slices on top of the potatoes. Place half of the Mushroom and Kale mixture on top.
- Fold in the right and left borders and starting with the edge closest to you begin rolling the dough and fillings away from you until you end up with something that looks like a large burrito.
- Place wellington on the prepared jelly roll pan and repeat steps 5-7 for the second wellington.
- Brush each wellington with melted vegan butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake wellington’s for 30 minutes or until they are golden brown. Allow wellingtons to set for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving. Top with Whole Food’s Vegan Mushroom Gravy