Beet Salad with Vegan Goat Cheese
I always bought my beets canned until I found out how easy it was to prepare them at home – just drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil and stick them in a 375° oven for about an hour…simple. However, I did learn the hard way when handling a cooked red beet you should probably wear some plastic gloves…my hands had a pink hue for days after this Face Off.
The beets I got for this recipe were massive. I went to Whole Foods late one Sunday night and I ended up with the last of the veggies that were left from the onslaught of shoppers earlier in the day. These things were easily 3 pounds each, they took over 1.5 hours to cook and 1 full week to finally consume. I call the picture on the right “Beet Bombs.”
My favorite part of Beet Salad used to be the goat cheese. The creamy cheese (in my opinion) is what really defines a Beet Salad, but there are always compassionate alternatives. When Morgan wanted to Face Off Beet Salad I immediately started thinking of ways that I can Veganize goat cheese. This creamy Vegan alternative even fooled my husband when he saw it in the fridge, although it is a bit thinner and not as crumbly as the real thing. Try it on a salad, dip your veggies into it or it’s just as good spread onto crackers for an appetizer.
Vegan Goat Cheese
1/2 Cup Tofutti Cream Cheese, brought to room temperature
1/2 Cup Firm Silken Tofu, brought to room temperature
2 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
2 Tablespoons mixed herbs, chopped fine – Thyme, Rosemary, Marmorjam, Oregano
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons Garlic Salt
- In a blender or food processor combine cream cheese and tofu.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in nutritional yeast, herbs and garlic salt.
- Add black pepper to taste.
- Spoon mixture into the center of a piece of saran wrap. Roll up saran wrap to form a log like shape.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Scrub beets and dry thoroughly.
- Place each beet on a piece of aluminum foil, drizzle with olive oil and cover with foil.
- Place covered beets in oven for approximately 1 hour for medium sized beets.
- Remove beets from oven, carefully remove foil and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Using the dull side of a knife remove the skin from the beets then cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Toss greens with vinaigrette, top with beet slices and 2 Tablespoons of Vegan Goat Cheese.