Chai Tea Oatmeal
I call this my weekend oatmeal. I love steel cut oats, but I never have enough time on weekday mornings to prepare them. On Saturday and Sunday mornings I can be found in my kitchen experimenting with new breakfast recipes – sometimes I feel like cold cereal, other times hot cereal, sometimes doughnuts are my craving and other times (when I have over indulged the night before) I feel like a hearty tofu scramble and hash browns. Lately it has been hot oatmeal that warms me up and fills me up in the morning.
When I make steel cut oats I always feel like adding in different sauces, jams, fruits, seeds, butters, etc. Something about standing over the stove stirring the oats for 20 minutes makes me feel that I have to give it something more than just brown sugar. This time I wanted to try something different – flavoring the water so the oats really infuse with the base aroma of Chai (or any tea of your choice, for that matter). It worked out pretty well, but of course I couldn’t resist adding in my standard almond milk for creaminess, sugar for sweetness and chopped figs because they taste good. Enjoy!
3 1/4 Cups of Water
3 Chai Tea Bags
1 Cup Steel Cut Oats (not quick cooking)
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1/2 Cup Almond or Soy Milk
Chopped Dried or Fresh Fruit
- Bring water to a boil, remove from heat and steep tea bags for 5-6 minutes.
- Return tea to heat and bring water back to a boil.
- Add Steel Cut Oats, reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stir every few minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in sugar until completely dissolved.
- Add Almond or Soy Milk, combine and cover for 3-5 minutes.
Serve hot with your favorite chopped fruit, fresh, dried or both!