Vegan Grilled Cheese
It’s been a long long time since I have tasted a grilled cheese sandwich. As a vegetarian this used to be my go-to sandwich when out to lunch or dinner, usually ordering it off of a children’s menu, but not so much anymore.
For this Face Off I could have went with a store bought Vegan cheeses (there are some good ones out there), but I decided to finally attempt to make my own Vegan Cheese. As you may have seen on the blog yesterday, the Vegan Truffle Cheese was a huge success.
For my sandwich I didn’t want to lose the awesome truffle flavor between the bread and other ingredients, so I went for a simple grilled cheese and one of my long time favorites, grilled cheese with tomatoes. I selected a hearty 12 grain bread I picked up from Whole Foods, but this still allowed the truffle cheese to be the star of the show.
4 slices of 12 grain bread
1 ramekin of Vegan Truffle Cheese
1 roma tomato, sliced
4 tablespoons Vegan butter such as Earth Balance
1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Melt Vegan butter and stir in garlic powder.
- Arrange 4 slices of bread on a cutting board. Brush insides of bread with garlic butter.
- Spread Truffle Cheese onto all 4 slices of bread on top of the garlic butter.
- Arrange sliced tomatoes on 2 of the bread slices and close the sandwich with the other side of bread.
- Spread garlic butter on the top of the sandwich.
- Heat a griddle pan over medium-high heat. Place sandwiches, garlic butter side down, onto the griddle pan.
- While the one side is cooking brush the other side of the bread with garlic butter.
- Flip the sandwiches once the first side has crisped up. Allow the second side to do the same.
Allow sandwich to cool for 1 minute before slicing and consuming.
Note: The truffle cheese does not get super melty (unless you re-heat it on the stove), so just cook the sandwich long enough to warm the inside and crisp the bread to your liking.
Wait…what’s that you say? No time to make homemade Vegan Truffle Cheese? Are you drooling over these pictures? Are you craving a Vegan grilled cheese RIGHT NOW? Whip this same sandwich up using your favorite Vegan store bought cheese and for the truffle flavor I recommend replacing the garlic butter with truffle butter (melt Vegan butter and mix with 1-2 teaspoons of truffle oil). Now go eat!