Vegan Mac & Cheese
My Truffle Cheese recipe from a few weeks ago makes for a great Vegan Grilled Cheese sandwich and funny enough it also makes for some amazing Vegan Mac & Cheese. I had hardened my Vegan cheese in the refrigerator so I could use it for spreading on crackers and for our Grilled Cheese Face Off, however the cheese can also be heated back up to it’s original cheese sauce state, which I did here to make the cheese base for my Mac & Cheese recipe below.
I use mustard in my Mac & Cheese which is something I picked up in College. I was introduced to topping off my Kraft Mac N Cheese with yellow mustard and it changed the way I would eat Mac & Cheese forever. The mustard gave it a bit a of a kick that quickly became a standard mix-in for this dish. Now that I’ve “matured” I stick to homemade Macaroni & Cheese with dijon mustard – fancy pants.
1 pound small pasta (macaroni, small shells, ditalini, etc)
30 ounces Vegan cheese*
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
4 tablespoons butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350°F
- Boil water and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Run pasta under cold water and set aside.
- Combine panko, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder in a bowl and set aside.
- Warm Vegan cheese in a large sauce pan over medium heat (if you are re-heating the Truffle Cheese, like I did, you may need to add some soy milk to get the consistency to a medium-thick cheese sauce).
- Add Dijon mustard and cayenne pepper, stir to combine.
- Add pasta to cheese sauce mixture and stir until all pasta is coated with cheese.
- Oil a 9×13 dish and place pasta in dish in one even layer.
- Sprinkle panko mixture evenly over pasta then drizzle butter as evenly as possible over panko.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake for an additional 10-20 minutes until the panko crust is a golden brown color.
*I used my Truffle Cheese for this Face Off, but have also made this dish using 3 packages of Teese Cheddar Cheese Sauce, also very yummy!