Vegan Power Bars
One day at work my friend Maureen IMed me and said “I made a Susan friendly recipe.” Of course I was intrigued. She proceeded to bring me a a homemade bar that looked like a date bar, yet tasted like a cookie; it was delicious. She emailed me the recipe and mainly because I could not locate Coconut Butter at the store I decided to make a few adjustments to her version and came up with what I am calling Vegan Power Bars.
I spend too much money on fruit & nut and granola bars, always keeping at stash at home, one in my purse and a stash at my desk for breakfast, pre-work snacks or hunger emergencies. Maureen made me realize how simple it would be to make my own bars, and a lot of them. Although I do have my favorite bar brands that I will always keep a stock of, I admit, I like having the freedom of selecting my own ingredients for these Vegan Power Bars.
Great for a pre or post work out snack and recently have been my nightly dessert, give this simple, no-bake, recipe a try with your favorites. And as a double bonus, these are not only Vegan, but Gluten Free too!
makes 16, 3 by 1 inch bars
1 cup raw cashew butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/8 cup coconut oil
1 tbsp cinnamon
24 whole pitted dates
1 cup pecans
2 cups trail mix*
1/2-1 cup shredded coconut
- Place all ingredient except trail mix and coconut in food processor & blend.
- Add trail mix and blend. Or you can pulse for a rough chop of the trail mix.
- Line 9×13 dish pan with parchment paper and press mixture into pan.
- Sprinkle coconut over bars and press gently into mixture.
- Place in refrigerator for 1 hour then slice into 3 by 1 inch power bars (or smaller power bites!).
- Store in fridge – they keep longer this way.
*I used Whole Foods Organic Super Antioxidant Trail Mix
P.S. Thanks to Lauren and Deanne for test tasting my failure first batch of these. The bars wouldn’t stick together, but they tasted good…I think?!?