Vegan Apple Crisp
It’s officially fall – apples are taking over the produce section of the grocery stores and are being brought to the farmers markets by the truck load. What to do with all these apples? Bake of course. Crisps, Cobblers or Crumbles, I consider these dishes the quick and dirty pie. No rolling out dough necessary, it doesn’t have to look “pretty,” it should come together in under 15 minutes and the only real requirement is that it should taste good.
I whipped this up and baked it before going into the office for the day, it was that simple. Now I’m inspired to make more fruit crisps – pear, peach, blueberry, you name it.
5 Granny Smith apples, peeled cored, chopped
1/2 cup pecans, chopped fine
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons agave
zest and juice of one a lemon
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pre heat oven to 350. Grease a 9×13 glass baking dish with 2 tablespoons of vegan butter.
- In a large bowl stir together all filling ingredients and place into baking dish.
- Using your mixer combine all topping ingredients on low until mixture is consistently crumbly.
- Scatter topping over apples evenly.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the top is browned and filling is bubbly.
Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.