Vegan Pecan Crescent Cookies
These cookies are a labor of love. I used to eat these cookies at Christmas time, popping one after the other with no consideration into what sort of effort my mother put into making them. Sure the ingredient list is short and the dough comes together quickly, but I’m not going to sugar coat it for you (pun intended). Digging into the hardened dough, forming these cookies into their crescent shape, watching them bake so they don’t burn, meticulously timing how long they are out of the oven so you cover them with powdered sugar at the exact right time – not too hot, not completely cooled – if you are Type-A this recipe is right up your ally (I realize I have probably scared some of you away by now).
I learned after my first year of making these cookies that they aren’t the type of treat you just set out in a container at the office for all to enjoy. For the time that I invest in these and the hand cramps they give me I usually give them as gifts; feel special if you get one. I already know a few people I am going to make happy this Christmas when they receive these cookies – from my family to yours.
- In a mixer cream the vegan butter. Add sugar and mix until fully combined. Add vanilla and mix until fully combined.
- While the mixer is on a low speed add flour slowly. Turn mixer to medium until filly incorporated.
- Add pecans and run mixer on stir/low for about 10 seconds.
- Place dough in a bowl, cover and refrigerate over night. Dough must be cold before you attempt to shap the cookies.
- Heat oven to 350, remove dough from fridge.
- Using a knife chisel away some of the incredibly hard dough and begin forming into a 2-3 inch crescent shape. This make take some time, so be patient.
- Place crescents onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10-20 minutes. Set a timer for 10 minutes then check on them every minute after that ensuring that they are not burning on the bottom. I find that the less you bake them the better. You want the bottoms of the cookies to brown ever so slightly then they are ready to com out.
- Place cookies onto a cooling rack immediately upon removing from oven and set a timer for 2 minutes. When timer goes off move onto step #9.
- Fill a large bowl with 2 cups of powdered sugar. Place 3 cookies into the bowl and cover with powdered sugar.
- Place cookies on aluminum foil until cooled completely. Store in an airtight container separating cookies with sheets of wax paper.